A New Approach to Education
The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) is a framework for children up to the age of 5, focusing on 7 areas of learning and development which is broken down into 2 areas:
Prime areas of learning
Personal, Social and Emotional Development:
- Self-Confidence and self- awareness
- Managing feelings and behavior
- Making Relationships
- Moving and Handling
- Health and Self-care
Communication and Language:
- Listening and Attention
Specific areas of learning:
- Mathematics (Problem solving and reasoning)
- Knowledge and Understanding of the world
- Expressive Arts and Design (Creative Development)
What you can do to help your child get ready for Foundation Stage?
- Talk about school and learning with enthusiasm and excitement.
- Let your child know that it is natural to have mixed feelings about school.
- Read to your child daily.
- Let your child learn and grow at his/her own pace (NEVER compare your child to the other children in class).
- Support the school in the implementation of rules and policy.
- Encourage your child to maintain the highest standards of behavior possible both in and out of school.
- Encourage your child to learn to make independent choices and not blame others.
- Encourage your child to learn from his/her own mistakes.
- Listen and share in your child’s experiences.
- Ensure your child has a lot of physical activity both indoors and outdoors.